Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Psoriasis and infection risk

Hi, I have a fairly well behaving skin prosiasis. Abt half of the leesions are in buttocks and around the rectum -- I find it a bit difficult to apply the usually fairly effective local medication accurately in these difficult-to-see areas.

1) Can the HIV enter body via non-bleeding psoriatic leesions?

2) It seems that it doesn't need much to get a scaling leesion bleeding -- even some very light scratching seem to cause some bleeding every now and then. If I have scaling psoriasis leesions in my buttocks, should I avoid public toilets?

3) If I have a possibly bleeding psoriatic leesion, is there a risk of infection if I find myself in swimming pool or bubble path with an infected woman?

Thank you for your time!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I know of no scientific data that apply to non-bleeding skin lesions such a psoriasis. If the lesions are closed (not bleeding), I think there is n o real infection risk by this route. If your lesions are bleeding and are in an area that would contact the seat, then i think out of sheer courtesy you should either avoid public toilets or use a paper seat cover-- no one wants to sit where your psoriatic lesions have bleld-- in this case, I think it's more a matter of what they'd get from you rather than what you'd get from them. Ditto for the hot tub/swimming exposure question. Although much of what our mothers told us about the dangers on public toilets, you should keep other people's sensitivities in mind as well as your own.

Is a late period a sign of ARS?
Prick of needle and AIDS