Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

i have folliculitis does this indicate HIV?
Mar 1, 2000

Dear Doctor,

I went to the doctor recently because of bumps the itched and hurt. I only had about 20 of them on my body. he said it was folliculitis. He gave me bactraban, and keflex to take. And also a shot of cortisone. I was curious about this since I had never had it before. Now my question is can a healthy person get this too, or just HIV persons. I have not been diagnosed with this disease as of yet. Actually I have never been tested as I am afraid to. Over the last year I have had several different weird illnesses. A recurring sinus and ear infection, A few yeast infections from all the antibiotics, and boils and now folliculitis. Also several times during the year I had swollen gums with no apparent cause, no bleeding gums, just swollen painful teeth. can u answer any of this for me please.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Folliculitis is not a sign of HIV, although it is common among infected people. If you're worried about HIV, get an HIV test and practice safe sex.

Previous
symptoms
Next
very worried

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.