Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Risk From 86?

Hi Dr. Feinberg. In 1986 i made the mistake of having unprotected vaginal intercourse with a Co -worker, the only thing i remember for sure is that the act itself lasted no more than 30 seconds due to my panic. In the years since i have had Oral sex performed on me (never given). My question is, if i had indeed been infected and having never had medications, i did have a test, can't remember if it was 6 months before OR after, isn't the chance that i'd be dead by now a real possibility or, am i grasping at straws, thanks in advance for your time.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There are people who are "long-term nonprogressors", meaning that their immune system copes better with HIV than most other people's, and that they don't get progressive HIV disease due to a growing immune deficiency over time. However, these folks are a lucky minority of all HIV+ individuals. The odds that you are one of them are slim but not zero. Instead of agonizing about this, why not get tested and know for sure what you status is, so you can do what is best for you?

ELISA VS. BLOOD TEST?
Tiny Red Speckles on Skin