Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Lymph node after one and a half year

Dear Dr. Feinberg:

I had a low risk encounter in January of 1999. Three weeks after I have several symptoms consistent with HIV infection. My last test was performed in July of this year almost 1 and 1/2 year after and came back negative (ELISA). However since that encounter I have a persistent swollen lymph node in the right side of my neck, consistent dry skin (which I did not have before)and abnormal stools. I don't know what to do. I have been afraid to have sex with my wife or come in contact her and our children until this situation clears up. Our life have been very difficult since then. Do you have any clue what could be wrong? I will more than grateful to hear your response. My physician seems lost.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It doesn't sound like HIV. Sometimes people get persistently enlarged lymph nodes that aren't significant, but if your level of anxiety is this high you might want to talk to your doctor about getting a lymph node biopsy to see if you can find out why the nodes are enlarged. Even if you had HIV, you couldn't give it to your children unless you had sex with them, so you should stop worrying about that. Until you get an answer that satisfies you about the lymph nodes, you could resume marital relations with your wife using a condom consistently.

Negative test but something is not right.
Dermatomyositis with HIV/AIDS