Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Negative test but something is not right.

I had an exposure incident in October 1999 due to a failed condom. I contracted NGU and sweated bullets for 6 months until I could be tested. I tested negative for HIV (and Chlamydia, Gonohrea, Syphilis, and Hep B & C.) However, I still am experiencing unusual symptoms that are just not typical for me (muscle pain behind one knee and tingling in my index and middle finger.) I am still afraid I may have contracted HIV because I know these feelings are not normal. Does this sound typical of HIV infection? What could this be if not HIV? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

This does not sound like HIV. If the tingling in your finger is followed by a small blister that opens up into a sore, you may have a herpes infection of the finger (it's called herpetic whitlow). I think the muscle pain behind the knee is a separate problem.

South America
Lymph node after one and a half year