Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Candida always associated with HIV?

I read your answer to the question regarding Candida Esophagus, and I am wondering -- Is is 100% positive that the infection of candida in the esophagus is directly related to and limited to Hiv/AIDS? How about those individuals with massive candida overgrowth, say, due to the condition getting out of control for whatever biological reason, that are not Hiv Pos. Lets's say that, they have a topical yeast infection, for whatever reason, and during the night, they forget to wash their hands after using the bathroom ( I know, it's gross) and accidentally, either scratch the nose, or the fingers make their way into the mouth, during sleep? Or perhaps, for whatever reason, they make contact with the germs, and the esophagus is already irritated from GERD, or strep, or smoke inhalation, or whatever. What are the chances that the esophagus would be infected by this means? Is it possible? Especially if the esophagus is already compromised from some other factor? Or is this just simply and Aids/Hiv related condition, and non-infected individuals could not develop this? Also, could you comment on the possibility as to whether or not Candida Esophagus could occur as a result of systemic candida infection in a

Hiv negative individual? THANKS SO VERY MUCH!!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Although there are HIV- people who get serious Candida infections, these are typically in the bloodstream or invading lung or kidney tissue. If esophagitis occurs in HIV-s, it must be very very rare and probably associated with another kind of immune deficiency besides the one caused by HIV. At any rate, I've never seen such a case.

needle pricks in hospitals
South America