Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Reactive lymph nodes & other symptoms
Aug 16, 2000

Dear Dr,

I am a young male with enlarged (~1cm) cervical lymph nodes on both sides that came up during a short viral illness 16 months ago, and have stayed that size since. They are still quite tender and look like they're here to stay. My doctor said they were "reactive" to something like EBV although he didn't test for this. Why I am worried is that 2 months before the illness I had unprotected vaginal sex with a woman who has had many partners. I have had a few HIV antibody tests up to the 16 month mark from the sex -- all have been negative. This should allay my fears, but this year I have had bad gingivitis, cheilitis and recurring balanitis with my current girlfriend. Should I worry about HIV with the lymph nodes & other symptoms combined, or forget about the nodes? I'm worried I could infect my girlfriend.

Thank you, and apologies for the long question.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It doesn't sound like you have HIV, but if it has been a while since your last test and you now have another partner, you can get tested again to put your mind at ease. Certainly the kinds of problems you are experiencing can occur without HIV infection.

Previous
CMV, EBV and Toxoplasma, gas, coated tongue
Next
Any relation between viral inhibitors and antibodies?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.