Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

diarrhea for 3 months after switching to new meds

3 months ago I began a new set of meds..... norvir, ziagen, fortovase and videx. Ever since I started these new meds my quality of life (due to the side effects) has plummeted. I now have uncontrollable diarrhea, nausea, weight loss and fatigue. Prior to starting these meds I took a short break. Can I just tell you that I never felt better -- no fatigue, no nausea, no weight loss and best of all, no diarrhea. My first question to you is how do I get rid of these side effects, and my second question is if these meds are supposed to be helping me why do I feel like they are doing more harm than good? Thanks for your help

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There are ways of minimizing side effects from HIV medicines, but if a patient of mine is as miserable as you describe, then I'll offer a different combination. All of the meds you are on can cause diarrhea, although some are worse offenders than others. Talk to your doctor about your level of discomfort and explore options for changing some of these drugs. It isn't going to meet the goal of making your life better if the medicine makes you feel this bad.

Good luck!

Been on meds for 2yrs now, still doing good But..
DIARRHEA/BOWEL INFECTION