Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV, Epstein-Barr and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Mar 1, 2000

In 1997, I went to my doctor an was diagnosed with Mono, with a past infection evident in Epstein-Barr. Then, two weeks later I was diagnosed with HIV+. I have been under the care of a doctor and have been faithful for three years on antivirals such that my VL is undetectable, and CD4 cells are in the 500 range. My problem is that I do have chronic fatigue, based on the symptoms I have researched and unable to work, based on the fatigue, confusion, and general lack of stamina. In applying to SSDI, they say I am healthy, because of my blood stats relating to HIV. What is the correlation of Epstein-Barr to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I know of no correlation between the two. EBV is a very common viral illness; many many people have had it. There is great debate about "chronic fatigue" and whether or not it is related to EBV infection. Many experts do not believe that there is strong enough evidence for the link to be convincing. Many of the side effects of HIV medicines will produce similar symptoms attributed to chronic fatigue. I think you're going to have a tough time getting SSI to believe you're disabled on the basis of chronic fatigue.

Previous
Spiramycin for cryptosporidiosis
Next
Erlichiosis infection in person with HIV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.