Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

effects of Meningitis
Dec 28, 1999

I suffered Meningitis last December. My recovery is very slow. I have asked my Doctors repeatedly why I have not been able to walk with assistance. I currently am using a walker. During my illness I was in a coma for 3 weeks. When I came out of the coma my whole right side was numb. Since January 99 I have full use of my arms and my left leg, but my right leg is very weak. It's as if my right leg is now shorter than my left. I walk with a noticable limb. Is this caused by the Meningitis. Is it possible for me to walk again?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Meningitis can be lethal and can certainly have loong-lasting effects in the most severe cases. You don't say what kind of meningitis you had, but the fact thatyou were in a coma for 3 weeks makes it a very serious case. Depending on what kind of meningitis it was, there are different follow-up tests that can be done to see how well you are recovering. If you have not gotten a satisfactory response from your doctors, you might consider getting a second opinion from a neurologist with expertise in HIV/AIDS.

Previous
Meningisim
Next
cryptococcal meningitis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.