Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

effects of Meningitis

I suffered Meningitis last December. My recovery is very slow. I have asked my Doctors repeatedly why I have not been able to walk with assistance. I currently am using a walker. During my illness I was in a coma for 3 weeks. When I came out of the coma my whole right side was numb. Since January 99 I have full use of my arms and my left leg, but my right leg is very weak. It's as if my right leg is now shorter than my left. I walk with a noticable limb. Is this caused by the Meningitis. Is it possible for me to walk again?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Meningitis can be lethal and can certainly have loong-lasting effects in the most severe cases. You don't say what kind of meningitis you had, but the fact thatyou were in a coma for 3 weeks makes it a very serious case. Depending on what kind of meningitis it was, there are different follow-up tests that can be done to see how well you are recovering. If you have not gotten a satisfactory response from your doctors, you might consider getting a second opinion from a neurologist with expertise in HIV/AIDS.

Meningisim
cryptococcal meningitis