Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

CMV
Dec 16, 1999

Son has CD4 186 and VL 5000.000. Isn't his CD4 count to high for this. His dr. said she was surprised his CMV count was so high. She did not tell me the numbers. Does this mean that CMV has spread throughout his body. Is he showing infection or disease. How do I know the difference or is their a differance.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Most people with CMV DISEASE affecting the function of some part of their body have much lower CD4 cell counts (usually less than 50), but patients who have been slowly developing CMV DISEASE when they start on HAART can have CMV DISEASE occur within the first few months of HIV treatment, even when their CD4 cells have begun to improve. Many people have CMV INFECTION, which is detected by a blood test for antibody (protective protein) against CMV. Old CMV INFECTION can be completely quiet and does not necessarily cause CMV DISEASE. You have not given me enough information to know whether your son has INFECTION or DISEASE.

Previous
upper gastrointestinal tract condition
Next
BLURRED VISION...SHOULD I BE WORRIED???

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.