Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Help, I might be losing my sight on left eye!

Dear Doctor, I´ve been HIV 15 years and had been very ill 3 years ago but have been recovering after new treatment, Viramune, Norvir and Ritonavir, my T-cells are around 400 and the virus has been undetectable for 2-3 years and there is no sign of active CMV and I´m off Cymoveve treatment over a year now,I had active CMV for some time but it is not in progression now but it left some scars and some lost eye sight on both eyes, I´ve been looked after regularly by my expert, now it seems that my left eye is going to fail due to an Retina failure,is there a connection between CMV and this problem? there´s supposedly a hole or many holes in it but my doctor say´s they are undetectable and so impossible to use a laser to repair them, so my choices now are an operation which might leave me with almost lost eyesight or I become very farsighted on this eye but I am nearsighted on the right eye,or the other choice is to do nothing and just loose sight as it comes, hmmm, my doctor recommends the latter option, please can you give me a second opinion and even tell me if there are any way´s on avoiding to loose my sight. best regards

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It sounds like your eye doctor thinks your retina may detach (pull away from the tissue underneath because of small tears caused by CMV infection and scarring). Sometimes this can be treated with laser therapy to "glue" the retina in place, and sometimes a silicone oil can be injected into the eye to hold the retina down. This is the operation that I'm familiar with. In my experience, it works most of the time. If this is the option he is suggesting, I think it's worth considering seriously. You may want to see another eye doctor familiar with HIV patients who can examine you and give you specific advice.

CMV/eye problems
CMV AB titre