Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

how to diagnose CMV retinitis?

dear doctor ,,,I have symptoms in my eyes ,,but if I go to eye doctor how he will diagnose that I have CMV retinitis?

is it by blood test only ? I mean if I did blood test for CMV ,,,if both IgG and IgM CMV test came positive ,,does this mean that I have CMV retinitis?and if I don't have eye symptoms and this test (CMV IgG&IgM)came positive what does it means ?does this means that I will develop CMV retinitis??or means that I have CMV retinitis??many thanks doctor,,

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The only way to diagnose CMV retinitis is to have an exam by an eye doctor experienced in treating HIV+s. The blood tests merely tell whether you have been exposed to CMV recently (IgM) or in the past (IgG). People who are IgG+ are at risk for retinitis because it is a "reactivation" disease-- the CMV that has been silent in your body starts multiplying again, probably because your immune system is too weak to hold it in check. CMV is like Herpes or HIV-- it never leaves your body once you have it.

microsporidiosis in kidney transplant
IVIG ACQUIRED CMV