Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

how to diagnose CMV retinitis?
Feb 7, 2000

dear doctor ,,,I have symptoms in my eyes ,,but if I go to eye doctor how he will diagnose that I have CMV retinitis?

is it by blood test only ? I mean if I did blood test for CMV ,,,if both IgG and IgM CMV test came positive ,,does this mean that I have CMV retinitis?and if I don't have eye symptoms and this test (CMV IgG&IgM)came positive what does it means ?does this means that I will develop CMV retinitis??or means that I have CMV retinitis??many thanks doctor,,

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The only way to diagnose CMV retinitis is to have an exam by an eye doctor experienced in treating HIV+s. The blood tests merely tell whether you have been exposed to CMV recently (IgM) or in the past (IgG). People who are IgG+ are at risk for retinitis because it is a "reactivation" disease-- the CMV that has been silent in your body starts multiplying again, probably because your immune system is too weak to hold it in check. CMV is like Herpes or HIV-- it never leaves your body once you have it.

Previous
microsporidiosis in kidney transplant
Next
IVIG ACQUIRED CMV

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.