Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Toe Nails.....who needs 'em?

Hi Dr. Feinberg,

Over the past 6 months my viral load went from 180,000 (at diagnosis) to 110, and tcells from 44 - 200. I had lost my toenails completely about 2 yrs ago, and once tried oral pills (can't remember the name) and they brought my toenails back for a brief time, but once off the pills, i subsequently lost them. Now that my tcells are up, though, they are growing back, albeit very thick and white, which didn't bother me. However recently they started pussing white milky substance. Is the puss a bad sign, or no big deal? thanks!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You may have lost your toenails before because of a fungal infection, and now that your immune system is healthier and more capable of responding to infection, it has become evident again. At any rate, it isn't normal to have a milky substance coming from your toenails, and you should get it checked out by your HIV doctor or a foot doctor.

candida of the esophagus
Systemic Fungal Infection and PSA