Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Toe Nails Falling Apart

I've been infected for a very, very long time, closing in on two decades, and my immune system has maintained normal CD4+ and very low viral load. I've not had to take meds yet. But, in the last year or so my finger nails and toe nails appear to have developed lines, striations. If I pick at my toe nails the nails splinter at these lines and parts peel right off. Hadn't shown my doc yet . . . but does this sound like a normal fungal infection, or could it be some type of vitamin deficiency? I take tons of vitamins. I am 44. Is this an aging thing?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It sounds like an ordinary fungal infection of the toenails, more than a vitamin deficiency or result of aging. See a dermatologist-- this can certainly be treated.

When candida is resistant
candida of the esophagus