Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Why Some Illnesses and Not Others?
Dec 24, 1999

Hi. I've been (knowingly) HIV for two years. It recently dawned on me: What's to prevent me, with my somewhat compromised immune system, from being more prone to things like, I don't know, colon cancer or lung cancer, for example. In other words, does having HIV make you more susceptible to every serious illness, or just "typical" AIDS-defining illnesses like KS or lymphoma?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The immune deficiencies associated with HIV/AIDS seem to have a characteristic pattern-- in fact, that's how AIDS was discovered. As HIV+ people live longer, we may learn about other, much less common but still associated illnesses. There is a large long-term study going on now sponsored by the National Institutes of Health to track the development of different kinds of cancer in patients who with HIV, so eventually we should know the answer(s) to your question.

Previous
Lip cancers
Next
How can you tell if a small lump is cancerous?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.