Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Aids Non-hodgkins on the rise

I was diagnosed with AIDS related Non-Hodgkins one year ago, April 7, 1998, Stage IV (bone marrow involvement). My tumor was removed, 5 cm node in my pelvic area. I received six CHOP chemo treatments and was pronounced in remission after the second treatment. I also had 4 spinal tap infusions as prophylaxis. I have three questions 1) Statically, what are my chances of survival and/or reoccurrence? 2) What is your opinion on IL2 thearapy to prevent reoccurrence 3) In your opinion as HIVers live longer will there be a greater number on cases of NHL down the road?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I know of no data about survival after NHL since protease inhibitors became available, but expect that survival would be much improved now that we have potent combination HIV treatment. I hope that you are taking combination therapy for your HIV, which I thionk is your best chance of staying in remission. There is also no data about the role of IL-2 in this case, although in studies HIV+s with higher CD4 counts seemed to benefit much more than those with low counts, and more IL-2 studies are under way. I think there may be an increase in these kinds of cancerslinked to immune deficiencies if people get a less-than-optimal response from HIV treatment.

HIV and Cancer
How can you tell if a small lump is cancerous?