Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

kidney abscessing vs. kidney cancer

The CT scan of a friend with AIDS shows "something in one of the kidneys". They say perhaps an abscess, perhaps a malignancy; a needle biopsy "found no malignancy but was unable to rule out cancer". Signs of infection exist and luckily antibiotics are mitigating them. My question is: roughly how often do AIDS patients develop kidney abscesses vs. kidney cancer? Or, is there a linkage? We are happy that no cancer was found, yet would like to have some sense of the relative likelihoods of the problems. Thank you very much.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There is no known direct link between AIDS and kidney cancer. I hope that helps.

HIV+ with Multiple Myeloma
HIV and Cancer