Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hiv in Africa
Jan 17, 2000

Hello Dr Feinberg

I asked you before about the two maingroups HIV1 and HIV2 and you replied that there is some variants that would fail a test. You also said that they are common in developing countries. I have worked in Africa quite some time now and I was tested negative for HIV1 and HIV2 about 2 weeks ago.

The doctors knew that I was working in Africa and I guess that they performed the correct tests knowing this.

From what I know HIV1 is common in the States and in Europe and HIV2 is common in Africa.

My question is: How do you perform a HIV-test on one of these strains that doesn´t fall under the two main groups HIV1 and HIV2? Isn´t it so that all HIV-virus fall under one of these groups?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

HIV-2 mostly occurs in west Africa, and there are tests available to detect HIV-2. HIV-1 is divided into major (M) and outlier (O) groups. There are variants of HIV-1 group M and the tests designed for use in developed world target the variant ("clade B") that is the dominant type found in the US and Europe. Other clades found in the developing world and some O strains may not be detected by the routine tests used in the US. Non-clade B variants can be detected with some viral load assays. If you think you had high-risk exposures to HIV-1 (sex or blood trnasfusion in Africa), your doctor can consult the CDC about further testing.

Previous
need help
Next
Aids info

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.