Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Careless Girl I know
Mar 5, 2000

A girl, that I once thought I knew, may have given me hiv. I know that this is about opportunistic infection but I think you have good advice. I have been taking as good as precautions as I can not to have sex and etc. until I am satisfied with the way I feel. The problem is, for months I was quiet about this whole issue because I didn't want to exaggerate anything and then wind up being considered crazy, but this girl at the same time has known how I feel and she has similar symptoms. Regardless, I have watched her show signs of denial, but she still tries to skip around with all my friends. I told all my friends my situation with her and she called the cops on me. I don't care if they arrest me, there is no way in hell I am gonna let my friends go through what I have been through. All my friends stick by me and they have all listened. My question is this, what is there to do with careless people like this? The law should make a stiffer penalty. Thank you doctor for your time!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You know, the world is a complex place and my job as a doctor is to take good care of people and give them the best advice I can. I don't think that laws about HIV and punishing people is the way to go, although that's not my area of expertise. HIV has ben around and well-publicized since the early 80's, so almost everyone should know about it by now and how to do their best to avoid it. You imply that you're now HIV+, but don't clearly say that. I'm sure worrying about this has been tough, so I don't mean to sound like I'm being hard on you, but--- you shouldn't have taken any chances, and I hope you won't in the future.

Previous
NOT SKINNY
Next
HIV concentration

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.