Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Seroconverstion

I was tested postive for HIV in Oct 97. This after a two month bout with a very bad rash and elevated temperature. What I'd like to know, and judging by the time of seroconveration, was the virus picked up around the January 97 time frame? Reason I'm asking is that I was told it happened in Sept of 97.... and January 97 is the only point in time that I know of that I was with an HIV infected person(found out after the fact). Safe sex was practiced, but the condom broke. This has bothered me since I tested positive and for peace of mind I'd like to put the time frame to rest. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You may have indeed picked up HIV earlier and converted "silently", and then had another illness which prompted you to get tested later in the year-- that's one possible explanation. Another is that you encountered another HIV+ partner between Jan and late summer, but just have never found out that that person is HIV+. No one can tell you the right answer with the absolute certainty you desire, because the world of medicine is full of exceptions.

ON NO MEDS.
low load, no drugs, getting aids