Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Is it REALLY an allergy?

My question doesn't fit neatly into any of the categories. I'm asking you because this all started with chronic sinusitis (an OI). I've been HIV+ since 1990, have 26 T-cells and VL >750,000. I've had 2 sinus surgeries in 2 years. I went to see my ENT and was prescribed clindamycin. After about a week of therapy, I got the rash. We treated with Benadryl, stopped the med and after about a week, got resolution. Then we tried augmentin - with the same results. I've never been allergic to either med before. Now he wants to try Levaquin. I'm a little nervous. Isn't it odd to suddenly develop allergies to 2 very different drugs? Is it REALLY an allergy?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

No, these rashes aren't an allergy, they represent a medication side effect which is fairly common in advanced HIV disease. By the way, while sinusitis can certainly be a problem for HIV+s, it is not considered to be an OI.

Active sexual life:expose to other virus and germs
HPV skin rash on arms and torso