Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Active sexual life:expose to other virus and germs
Jul 7, 2001

I'm HIV A2 positive, 330 CD4 ,1600 VL ,no medication and positive a year ago. I have a really active sexual life (no hiv unsafe practices) so I may be overexposed to other virus and illnesses that may be fatal to my health. Is there any kind of prevention of profilaxis treatment I could do to avoid or reduce this danger? (please no sexual abstinence!!!). THANK YOU FOR YOUR EXTREMELY HELPFUL ADVICE AND SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH!!!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

If you scrupulously practice safe sex and always use a condom, you should be able to protect yourself against some other STDs. However, this protection is imperpfect and you may still be exposed to other STDs. While these other nfections won't kill you, they can certainly make your life miserable. There is no form of prophylaxis that will safeguard you. If you are going to continue to be sexually active, I advise you to seek medical care at the first sign that something may be wrong-- and ALWAYS use a condom!

Previous
Cervical Lymph Nodes
Next
Is it REALLY an allergy?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.