Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

shingles for long time

My friend has a rash on the medial side of her leg which extends from the knee to the ancle ( looks like it fallow medial cutaneous nerve of the leg which is branch of saphenous nerve). It looks like shingles and she was told by a doctor that it was shingles. She was given medication but did not help with the rash. She has no pain and some discomfort. The rash first was notice 2yr. ago and does not seem to go oway. She is 27yr old female who is healthy. Is that common for the rash to stay for long time? What should she do next? Can shingles go oway on its own and if yes how long does it take? thank yuo for your help

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Shingles will eventually go away on its own, so I wonder if your friend really has something else. It usually takes no more than a few weeks to a month to clear in people with normal immune systems. I suggest that she see a dermatologist for a clear diagnosis-- it may take a small skin biopsy to do that.

liver and spleen
Chicken pox or HIV? Please help me sleep