Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

what new treatments are availb.?

in 1997 i found out that i was hiv+ and had pcp.i was in the hospital for 6 days.after leaving the hospital i started my first cocktail which was azt,d4t,and crixivan. at that time my cd4"s-140 vl-750,000 after 6 months on the cocktail my cd4"s climbed to 940 and vl-undetectable, in 1999 my cd4"s dropped to 560 ,vl-75,000 at that time they changed my cocktail to sustiva,ddi and d4t i stayed on that coctail for a yr. and counts didnt change much and the side afffects were to much to take . i took a six month break from all drugs so 6 months ago my counts dropped to cd4-375 ,vl 75,000 so i started the crixivan,azt and d4t again and my counts went to cd4 385,vl 473 after 3 months of taking it. they did a resistance test which showed that i was resistant to NNRTI. SO NOW THIS WEEK I AM GETTING READY TO GO TO THE DOCTOR and discuss new options which they say are limited. can you suggest any new meds and explain to me what resistance to NNRTI means ? and what my next recourse should be?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Resistance to NNRTI means resistance to the class of non-nucleosides, which includes efavirenz (Sustiva), nevirapine and delavirdine. I don't think it's true that you have no options. It sounds like you could benefit from some of the nucleosides, especially 3TC (Epivir) and abacavir (Ziagen). You probably have a number of protease inhibitors that will work, even if you steer clear of indinavir, including nelfinavir, amprenavir and lopinavir/ritonavir. Cheer up, and good luck!

itonavir

please help me--question about home HIV test
Risk (from toilet seats)?