Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

please help me--question about home HIV test
Jul 1, 2001

hello dear doctor, i once got a hiv home test kits(including a special paper can tell the result in 15 minutes) and did the blood test myself at home, recently i heared there is only one HIV-1 Home Collection Test System is approved by US FDA, i am not sure whether the kits and the "paper" i used is approved. if it is not approved ,can i get infected by the virus antigen on that "paper" ? why the FDA says it is dangerous to use the unapproved kits? i am worried all the time and hope you will answer me . thanks a lot.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You cannot get HIV from an HIV antibody test, so relax. The FDA says it is dangerous to use an unapproved test because you run the risk that your test results won't be accurate, and this is a situation where the wrong answer can be deadly.

Previous
shingles
Next
what new treatments are availb.?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.