Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

neuropathy & sleepy hands
Jul 1, 2001

Dr. Doctor:

Is neuropathy the same things as when your hands fall asleep when you rest on them? For some reason within the last sevral months, I wake up in the middle of the night with my hands or arms completely asleep. Is this it, or does nueropathy happen during when you are awake also?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Peripheral neuropathy starts in the feet and may progress to involve the hands; it doesn't start in the hands. The sensations you are describing are like the sensations of peripheral neuropathy, but in your case I suspect it is because you are sleeping in a position that pinches the nerves to your arms as they pass from your neck.

Previous
tattos and ody piercing is this a risk?.
Next
Treating Nueropathy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.