Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

further testing after needllestick

i am considered a high risk needle stick from occupational injury. stick depth above the bevel, contact w/ spun cells and whole blood from a known hiv + patient. not knowing the manner of pts transmission to hiv, do i need to be tested for other opportunistict diseases? i am really scared and need to cover all my bases as my employer has left me to my own devices to cover my health issues, now and in the future. please help.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You should be tested for syphilis and for hepatitis B and C. Ask your employer to see that the source patient has also been tested for these problems. Good luck!

is it shingles
tattos and ody piercing is this a risk?.