Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

is it shingles
Jul 1, 2001

For ten years I have had bouts of severe pain on my torso,followed by a rash.Doctors said it was shingles others said the rash is not relative to shingles.I have had it about twenty five times over ten years and it occurs on both sides.when the pain occurs it is sudden and like an electric shock followed by severe pain.I for a while could not move my arms outwards due to severe pain.The last instance was my lower back ,again I sat down,electric shock sensation followed by crippling pain could not walk fo four days.When the rash appears which covered the bottom of my back and buttocks on the other side.the doctor came and said the rash although very widespread did not look like shingles what is it.Please help me I have to see an neurologist.Thanks

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Shingles usually occurs on only one side of the body, and does not cross the midline on either the front or bacl of your body. Sometimes, shingles can be "disseminated", meaning it appears all over the body instead of in a more limited area on one side. What you are describing doesn't sousnd like shingles to me, but without seeing it, I can't tell you what it is. I think you'd be better off seeing a dermatologist than a neurologist for this.

Previous
Re: Cost of Treatment
Next
further testing after needllestick

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.