Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Cost of Treatment
Jun 27, 2001

Recently, I discovered that my 18 year old daughter tested positive for HIV. My daugher is mentally retarded, bi-polar, and a manic depressive. I was wondering if your could provide any insight as to the following: (1) her life expectancy with HIV (2) the likely cost of her treatment for the rest of her life (3)the most cost effective means of treatment available. I realize your time is limited so any help would be much appreciated. If you don't have time to answer all of the questions, any direction towards applicable literature, as regards my questions, would also be appreciated. Thank you

Response from Dr. Feinberg

This must have been very tough news for you and your family-- but don't despair. Current treatments are highly effective. While I cannot give you an accurate survival time because we have only had the most powerful combinations of medicine for about 6 years, many of the people treated recently have never been sick from their HIV, work full-time, have HIV- babies, and hopefully will live out something close to a normal lifespan. What is essential is to find a physician whose expertise is HIV and AIDS, so your daughter can get the best possible care.

The annual cost of combination treatment in the U.S. is in the range of $1200-1500. There is a federal program funded by the Ryan White Act that supplies medication for uninsured inviduals, although the details vary state by state. Physicians expert in HIV care will know how to connect you to a "case manager" who is a social worker knowledgeable about the resources available to your daughter. From what you've told me about her, i think the biggest challenge may be for her to take her medicine reliably, which is the key to successful treatment. You will need to find out what options exist for overseeing her medications.

What is most effective is a combimnation of 3 or 4 medicines that she can take without undue side effects. There are a number of such combinations. The doctor who prescribes the specific medicines will take potential side effects, your daughter's disease stage (as defined by her T helper lymphocyte count) and the amount of virus in her blood into consideration in choosing a combination that will work well for her.

The Centers for Disease Control maintains a list of HIV care sites in the U.S. (www.cdc.gov), and this information can also be obtained from other HIV-oriented web sites. You can also get information from your local city or county health department. Good luck to both of you!

Previous
Still Confused about blood count interpretation
Next
staph aureus

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.