Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

airborn???

I was talking to a teacher at a college the other day about hiv/aids. He was talking about the mutations and how hard it is to treat OI and stuff. He then talked about a fear that he says could happen. He says that aids changes so much and can mutate so bad that it could at one point become airborn! Is there any truth to this or is it just a persons fear going overboard. I know how bad aids is however this was interesting to hear. Thanks for your time....

Response from Dr. Feinberg

HIV is not airborne and is unlikely to become so. Its biology is oriented toward infecting a certain type of white blood cell. being inhaled into the lungs isn't a very efficient way of encountering T helper lymphocytes. This concern is the result of someone's fears getting the best of them.

Neoral
Therapeutic Vaccine