Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

cryptococcal meningitis

My brother has full blown aids (t cell count less than 3) and has been diagnosed in the past week with cryptococcal meningitis. My mother has spent the past week staying with him in his apartment. They have shared food and drink (he insists it is "safe" for her to do so!).

What tests can my mother undergo to determine if she's also infected? She is in her late 60's in very good health.

Also, what are the chances that she can pass the infection to friends, neighbors and relatives?

Any info will be greatly appreciated!!!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Your brother is correct-- your mother is not at any particular risk of catching or passing on cryptocoocal infection.

Your brother desperately needs to be on potent combination therapy for HIV if he is going to survive long term. Please urge him to get HIV treatment as soon as possible.

Any risk from swimming in saltwater (Boston Harbor)?
liver enzimes