Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Any risk from swimming in saltwater (Boston Harbor)?
Jun 25, 2001

My organization is planning a fund-raising a September Triathlon that will include a swim in Boston Harbor. We expect that some HIV+ persons will participate in the swim.

Boston Harbor is a saltwater bay with freshwater runoff. I have heard that after major rainstorms the coliform levels can sometimes become high.

I have a few related questions: 1) Do generally healthy people living with HIV infection need to take any special precautions when swimming in saltwater? 2)Do coliform infections present any special hazards for people living with HIV? 3)Are other microbes, such as cryptosporidiosis, also present in saltwater? (Everything I've read talks about crypto in pools, lakes, rivers, and drinking water but never saltwater.) If so, are any special precautions needed for those?

Thanks for your help!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

There are no special precautions necessary for swimming in saltwater. Coliform bacteria pose a hazard to all swimmers, not just HIV+s. Cryptosporidium is indeed an organism found in fresh water and poses no hazard for swimming in salt water.

I commend you for your thoughtfulness and preparation. Good luck with your event!

Previous
Is HIV airborne and how long it takes to detect?
Next
cryptococcal meningitis

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.