Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Discontinuing prophylactic for PCP
Jun 25, 2001

I was diagnosed pos in 11/00 after a bout with PCP. When discharged from the hospital I was prescribed 1 Bactrim daily, but it did not work apparently and I was back in the hospital within 2 weeks. Upon discharge I was prescribed dapsone. I have felt fine since, Vl is undetectable and TC4 is about 250. The dapsone scrip ends next week (no refill). I know 200 is not an absolute cutoff for PCP- what would be early signs with which I could avoid another hospitalization, please? Thank you.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

A number of studies have shown that if your viral load is undetectable and your CD4 (T4) cell count is above 200 for at least 3-6 months, that you can then safely stop PCP prophylaxis. It sounds like you may meet these criteria, although I can't tell for certain from your message.

You are correct in saying that bouts of PCP can happen at CD4 cell counts above 200, although your undetectable viral load should provide reasonable protection. The symtpoms of PCP can be very gradual in onset. Typically, there is fever, a dry cough, fatigue, chest discomfort or tightness, thrush, and finally shortness of breath with activity. Not everyone has all of these "classical" symptoms. If you decide to stop the dapsone, contact your physician if you have a prolonged respiratory illness. Good luck!

Previous
Non-Common Side Affects
Next
Re: other viruses

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.