Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

CD8

I have been infected with HIV, I presume, since the early 80s'. I was diagnosed with lymphoma in 1988 (and yes I am still here!). I have always had a very high level of CD8 cells (last lab result was 1580 or 63). What does this mean? Someone told me that those with high CD8 cells are generally those who survive the longest, I am certainly testament to that. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It is part of the pattern of HIV disease for CD4 cells to go down while CD8 cells go up. I know of no connection between CD8 cells and survival. You've certainly been fortunate, whatever your long-term survival has been due to.

Dry Cough
Severe Skin Problems