For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

MAC infection on neck

What are some of the reasons a child would contract a Mac infection on the neck, if the child is healthy otherwise? Are there other complications to be concerned about? Should I pursue any other types of tests to determine if there are other problems going on? I read something about testing the MAC infection to determine whether it is drug resistant? This had not been done and antibiotics are not working.....thus far. How long does it take?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

MAC infection can happen in otherwise normal kids. The lymph nodes in the neck are the usual site of infection. The nodes may need to be removed surgically for the infection to be eradicated. Resistance is usually a concern only in HIV+ people who have an enormous number of MAC germs in their bodies. One would not expect to see resistant MAC in an HIV- child. I suggest you find an expert in infectious diseases, especially a pediatric ID expert, to help you out. Good luck!

Kaposi's Sarcoma