Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Night Sweats
Jun 13, 2001

I've been diagnosed HIV+ in 1987 and for the past 8 eight years I have been experiencing night sweats.

This sweating occurs almost every time I sleep, not only during the night. When I wake up the sweating stops, but by then everything is drenched in sweat.

This is starting to really bother me. I have discussed this matter with my dr, but he says it's a good sign. It shows that my body is trying to fight off the infection.

Why do I suffer from this, but not my friend who has been HIV+ for just as long? And why does this stop the minute I wake up? Surely if any fever was involved I would continue sweating at least for a while after waking up.

Currently I'm on a Crixivan/Norvir/Stocrin combo. I don't take any supplements as I'm trying not to put too much stress on my liver. I would appreciate any suggestions that would help me to make these episodes stop.

Please help

Response from Dr. Feinberg

NIght sweats can be associated with certain opportunistic infections, but they can also occur as part of your body's response to HIV itself. The association with sleep may reflect some connection between the immune and nervous systems-- not too much is known about the pathophysiology of night sweats.

Previous
Please Help!! Chronic yeast...
Next
pets

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.