Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please Help!! Chronic yeast...
Jun 13, 2001

Dear. Dr. Feinberg, I know that you get tons of questions a day, I'm just hoping you'll have the time to answer mine. My situation is this: I had a relationship that lasted for approx. 2 months. In that time, we did engage in unprotected sex. ( I know, not very smart) I began getting this itch in my vaginal area, and assumed it was a yeast infection, since I have had them before. I used over the counter medication, and it went away. However, it kept returning. When I did some research on it via the internet, it pointed to hiv. Now, I have no reason to believe that my partner had hiv, for he had been given an hiv with his consent before he had surgery, and it came back neg. At 13 weeks, I finally got up enough courage to test for hiv, and it came back neg. But, still, 8 months after LAST exposure, I still have recurring yeast infections. I went to 2 different doctors who diagnosed it as SEVERE yeast, and gave me diflucan.But I am still having to watch my diet and health so it doesn't come back. I've lost a SEVERE amount of weight in the past year or so, although I didn't diet. I was never fat to begin with. Could severe weight loss cause my immune system to be weak, therefore allowing yeast to multiply? My doctor assures me that I can rely on the test I took. That some women just have problems with yeast, especially if they are under stress and have had poor eating habits. Could you give me any advice? I cannot afford another test at this time, but hopefully will be able to in a few months. I would just like to have some peace in the meantime. I am sorry for the length of this, I am just so scared. Thank you in advance, I pray you can reply...

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Just because you have severe, recurring vaginal yeast infections doesn't mean you have HIV. And HIV isn't the only disease state associated with this-- it can happen in diabetes, too, for example. Your doctor is right that there are women who just seem to have a tough time with yeast infections. If you are really still worried about HIV, you can be tested for free at a government-sponsored anonymous test site. Check with your county health department to locate such a test site.

Previous
Neuropathy
Next
Night Sweats

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.