Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hep C an O.I.?
Jun 13, 2001

We are having a minor debate out here in San Francsico, I have read the answer in one of your postings, but dated Apr. 2000. Any change?

The Question is simple: Is HCV considered an "AIDS defining illness", an OI, or both in persons also infected with HIV?

Any information you could provide would be most helpful because it seems to be shaping up as an issue in my disability determination since I have responded quite well to HAART and there is some thought i should be able to work, though I am not sure how.

Thanks for your valuable and informative forum.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Hep C is not considered an "AIDS-defining" illness, although it can certainly cause considerable health problems all on its own. It isn't truly an "OI", but rather a co-infection with HIV. An "OI" implies that the reason you have the infection is because your immune system wasn't strong enough to protect you. Many people acquire hepatitis C even before they have HIV, so HIV-induced immune suppression isn't a causative factor in getting hep C although it may well hasten the damage done by hep C. But it is becoming enough of a clinical problem for the US Public Health Service guidelines to include hepatitis C in its most recent (1999) version of OI prevention and management.

Previous
Anti-cytomegalovirus
Next
Women Specific OIs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.