Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Anti-cytomegalovirus

What does it mean, if my plasmapheresis records show that I have anti-cytomeglovirus?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

If you have an "anti-cytomegalovirus", that means that you have antibody to cytomegalovirus (CMV), which is a protein made by your immune system that recognizes this virus. This could only happen if you have previously been infected by CMV. This is not necessarily something to be concerned about-- CMV infection is very common. In most people this is essentially a 'silent' infection, and only becomes a problem if your immune system is damaged by disease or medications like those used to prevent rejection of a transplanted organ.

possible false positive for HIV?
Hep C an O.I.?