Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

HIV to AIDS

Hi. I am looking for information on the progression from HIV asymptomatic to symptomatic (usually about 8-10yrs). Can movement from HIV positive to "full blown AIDS" be shortened by illness in the early years?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Some people's HIV disease progresses faster than others. The 8-10 year timeframe is an average, so some people dvelop AIDS faster than that and some slower. I'm not sure what you mean about AIDS being hastened by "illness in the early years". The rate of progression is multifactorial and probably reflects the strength of the person's immune system, the strain of HIV, the amount of HIV they are infected with (inoculum size) and coincidental illnesses such as viral hepatitis.

confused by resources!!!
seroconversion and PN