Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

confused by resources!!!

Hi Dr. Feinberg, First, I would just like to thank you for taking time out of your day to do this. It is definitely very helpful!!!

I am very confused by resources on this website as well as the rest I've seen. Let's suppose a person was infected. I know that everyone is different, but generally, when does that person start showing any OI's??? Furthermore, is dermatitis, and tinea infections, and impetigo, etc..... those diseases in the skin that healthy people can get.... are they considered OI's? In either case, when do problems like those begin to appear, typically?

Knowing answers to these questions will greatly help me out. Thank you SO MUCH!

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The kinds of skin conditions that you mentioned are not OIs and are not even considered to be "HIV-related" because these skin problems occur more commonly in HIV- people than in HIV+s. A person will begin to develop OIs when their immune system has been severely damaged. On average, it takes 8-10 years after HIV infection for a person to reach a CD4 cell count of 200 or less. The risk of OIs increases markedly as CD4 cell counts drop below 299.

PCP cough symptoms
HIV to AIDS