Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Confused, PLEASE answer.
Jun 7, 2001

Thank you for taking your time to answer my question.

First, i read in one of your responses to another question that HIV typically cause lympopenia (low lymphocyte count. My question, does this occur during the initial HIV infection, and if so, does the low count remain as such until improved with medication, or does it return to normal perameters within time?

Secondly, is it typical for a person with HIV to have higher than normal total white blood cells at anytime during their infection?

I truly apreciate your response to these questions and think it is wonderful and invaluable what you are doing for those who have contracted the HIV virus and for those who are worried about it..

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Lymphopenia occurs with initial HIV infection and may persist or may improve, only to reoccur later on as HIV infection progresses. In fact, it is the hallmark of HIV disease, although some people may have their lymphocyte counts return to normal or near-normal levels sevreal months after initial infection before they start to decrease again later on. HIV medications can in some individuals restore total lymphocyte counts to within the normal range, or, if started soon enough, may prevent lymphocyte counts from dropping.

An elevated total white blood cell count is a typical reaction to bacterial infections. HIV+ people can have higher than normal counts if they develop, for example, a bacterial pneumonia.

Previous
recurrent cellulitis
Next
HIV-Associated Rash?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.