Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Confused, PLEASE answer.

Thank you for taking your time to answer my question.

First, i read in one of your responses to another question that HIV typically cause lympopenia (low lymphocyte count. My question, does this occur during the initial HIV infection, and if so, does the low count remain as such until improved with medication, or does it return to normal perameters within time?

Secondly, is it typical for a person with HIV to have higher than normal total white blood cells at anytime during their infection?

I truly apreciate your response to these questions and think it is wonderful and invaluable what you are doing for those who have contracted the HIV virus and for those who are worried about it..

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Lymphopenia occurs with initial HIV infection and may persist or may improve, only to reoccur later on as HIV infection progresses. In fact, it is the hallmark of HIV disease, although some people may have their lymphocyte counts return to normal or near-normal levels sevreal months after initial infection before they start to decrease again later on. HIV medications can in some individuals restore total lymphocyte counts to within the normal range, or, if started soon enough, may prevent lymphocyte counts from dropping.

An elevated total white blood cell count is a typical reaction to bacterial infections. HIV+ people can have higher than normal counts if they develop, for example, a bacterial pneumonia.

recurrent cellulitis
HIV-Associated Rash?