Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Occurance of PCP

I was hospitalized with a temp of 103.9 in May 2000. I was initially diagnosed with TB since my t-cell count on admission was 272 and viral load count was undetected. My infectious disease doctor was not satisfied with the diagnosis and after futher tests the diagnosis was changed to PCP. Since PCP is not found in HIV+ patients with t-cell counts above 200 can you shed some insight into why I contracted PCP? I was working 12 to 14 hour days M-F and at least 4 hours on Saturday. Can a high stress job bring on PCP in someone who is HIV+. I have been on triple drug therapy since 1996.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

It isn't true that PCP can't occur at T cell counts over 200. It is just much less likely. So there is nothing inconsistent with your having had PCP at a T cell count of 272. PCP is not caused by stress.

Haircut & HIV
Pimples along both sides of the inner thigh