Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

using condom with spouse

I know that we are urged to use condoms during sex, but I am a survivor of childhood rape and raped as an adult. It is only in the past couple of years that I am not just comfortable having sex, but am enjoying it. I tested positive about 2 years ago, have been married for 8 years, and both of us have been monogamous since our marriage. I am pretty sure that he infected me, but he won't get tested. Is it really necessary to for us to use condoms? If he infected me and neither of us is having sex with anyone else, what are the chances of me becoming drug resistant? I am on Combivir and Ziagen, Prozac, Prilosec, and birth control pills.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

You really can't know for certain whether you got your HIV from your husband or from sexual contact with someone before you got married. I think it depends on how each of you feel about the possibility: if he's HIV- but perfectly willing to take the risk, then how would you feel if you infected him?

Can PN be treated?