Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

T.B. test

Is it possible to test negative in T.B. skin test, and have been exposed to virus?. Some time ago I was very near somebody who died of aids, including tb multiresistent. Everybody around got tested for it, and while the others, all negative, gave positive, I tested negative and I heard that it was possible to test negative even though you werent - they gave it a name which I cant remember. Is that true? Thank you

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Your question doesn't make clear whether you are asking about HIV, TB or both. TB isn't caused by a virus, like HIV-- it is caused by a bacterium. It is possible to fail to react to a TB skin test even if you've been exposed to TB-- this can happen if your immune system is damaged or if you have overwhelming, new TB infection. There is a difference between exposure (infection) with TB and active disease due to TB. The skin test doesn't distinguish between these 2 scenarios, but a chest X-ray will demonstrate whether there is active lung disease or not.

cytomegalovirus
CD4 Count and Candida Esophagus (Please Help!)