Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

KS possibilities?

Do KS lesions, raised or otherwise, fade in color or simply go away? Also, are there any other types of raised skin lesions besides KS that are small (1/2 in. in diameter), grape shaped, pinkish/red in color, painless and itchless? I have a small raised patch on my chest that fits this description. It is fading a bit every day, yet remains slightly raised. I have been treating it with cortisone ointment 3-4 times daily for 2 days now; whether or not the cortisone ointment is causing this lesion to fade is unknown to me, but it is slowly fading.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The lesions of bacillary angiomatosis and KS can be confused, but neither would respond significantly to topical steroids. If you are also taking antibiotics for some other reason, that might make BA lesions (caused by a germ called Bartonella) recede. If you have begun potent combination HIV therapy, that could make KS lesions fade as well. Skin problems need to be seen for an accurate diagnosis, so if you're concerned, I suggest you see a dermatologist or HIV-experienced physician.

Herpes and HIV+
Moluskum