Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

KS possibilities?
May 22, 2000

Do KS lesions, raised or otherwise, fade in color or simply go away? Also, are there any other types of raised skin lesions besides KS that are small (1/2 in. in diameter), grape shaped, pinkish/red in color, painless and itchless? I have a small raised patch on my chest that fits this description. It is fading a bit every day, yet remains slightly raised. I have been treating it with cortisone ointment 3-4 times daily for 2 days now; whether or not the cortisone ointment is causing this lesion to fade is unknown to me, but it is slowly fading.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

The lesions of bacillary angiomatosis and KS can be confused, but neither would respond significantly to topical steroids. If you are also taking antibiotics for some other reason, that might make BA lesions (caused by a germ called Bartonella) recede. If you have begun potent combination HIV therapy, that could make KS lesions fade as well. Skin problems need to be seen for an accurate diagnosis, so if you're concerned, I suggest you see a dermatologist or HIV-experienced physician.

Previous
Herpes and HIV+
Next
Moluskum

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.