Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Herpes and HIV+

Dr. Feinberg,

I need help. I have been HIV+ for about 10 years. I just found out that I have herpes. Does it mean that not only will I be positive for the rest of my life, but will I also have herpes forever also?

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Both HIV and Herpes viruses are never cleared entirely from the body, no matter how successful treatment is. Unlike HIV, herpes has periods of dormancy in which the virus does not multiply. In between herpes outbreaks you will not have any symptoms, and frequent outbreaks can be suppressed by taking antiviral medicine, such as acyclovir, on a chronic basis.

does everyone get the paunch on PI's ?
KS possibilities?