Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Plantar Warts

Dr. Feinberg -- I was diagnosed w/HIV last year in July. I have had no opportunistic infections, other than anemia caused by the medication and 2 anal warts, which were removed. My numbers are good: VL less than 50, CD4 825. I'm on Viracept/Zerit/Epivir. I'm dating another HIV+ guy who has severe problems with Plantar Warts on his feet. really bad and on his wrist. He's seeing a doctor who is treating it. My question is am I'm at risk for catching the same thing from him. Is it easily transmittable? Is it a common infection that is made worse by the HIV virus? Thanks for any comments you can offer. I hope this is the right forum to be asking this question. Thanks for your time.

Response from Dr. Feinberg

Plantar warts are caused by the same kind of virus that causes genital warts, although there are many different strains. Warts are transmissible, and close personal contact is assumed to be important, although exactly how warts are transmitted isn't known. I have seen terrible wart disease, both anogenital and plantar, in both HIV-s and HIV+s. Although I can't really say it is worse in HIV+s, there is an increased incidence in the kinds of cancers associated with wart infections (such as cervical cancer and rectal cancer)among people with altered immune systems, like transplant recipients and AIDS patients.

Losing Weight Quickly
what is an opportunistic infection?