Opportunistic InfectionsOpportunistic Infections

Back pain, loss of balance, vision???

4 years ago my father died of AIDS. He woke up one day with a really sore back. He then started to walk funny and lose his balance. His vision was starting to get fuzzy and his speech slurred. We brought him to the doctors and they tested and tested and tested!!!! They at last...after all of the other tests gave him an HIV test and it was +. He got worse and we asked the doctors if there was anything they could do. They said no, just take care of him. I am reading these forums and see all of the meds out there...werw there no meds back then or was his condition just the end of the line??? They did not even offer him anything, only pain killers. I still do not understand what happened to my father and how AIDS killed him...the doctors tried to explain to me but it all sounded alien ...well thank you for your time....

Response from Dr. Feinberg

I am sorry to hear about your dad. It sounds like he may have had PML, a brain infection for which there is no recognized treatment, even today. However, some patients have had a good recovery from PML just with powerful combination therapy for HIV, because their immune systems get enough of a boost to contain the brain infection. Four years ago was the beginning of when these new powerful drugs had just become available, and it took a while to understand how much better people could get on them, so it may indeed have been correct that there wasn't much that could have been done for him at that time besides pain relief.

I hope that makes you feel a bit better to know that.

Small white bumps on the hands and face
viral load and cd4 fluctuations